- Status: Released
- Movie Tagline: He’s got to face a gunfight once more to live up to his legend once more. To win just one more time.
- Genres: Western, Drama
- Release Date: 1976-08-11
- Runtime: 100.0 min
- Budget: Not Available
- Revenue: $8.1 million
- Production Companies: Dino De Laurentiis Company, Paramount
Cast & Crew
John Wayne, Lauren Bacall, Ron Howard, James Stewart, Richard Boone, Hugh O’Brian, Bill McKinney, Harry Morgan, John Carradine, Sheree North, Rick Lenz, Scatman Crothers, Gregg Palmer, Alfred Dennis, Dick Winslow, Melody Thomas Scott, Kathleen O’Malley, Jack Berle, George Dunn, Duke Fishman, Jonathan Goldsmith, Charles G. Martin, Jim Michael, Ernesto Molinari, James Nolan, Nick Raymond, Henry Slate, Ralph Volkie, John Zimeas
Synopsis – What to Expect from “The Shootist”
The Shootist is a 1976 western film directed by Don Siegel and starring John Wayne in his final film role. The movie follows the story of John Bernard Books (Wayne), an aging gunfighter who is diagnosed with terminal cancer. After learning of his diagnosis, he decides to retire to Carson City, Nevada, to spend his last days in peace.
When he arrives in Carson City, Books meets a young gunsmith, Gillom Rogers (Ron Howard), and his mother, Bond Rogers (Lauren Bacall). Books soon finds himself embroiled in a conflict between a corrupt businessman, Mr. Miller (Richard Boone), and a local doctor, Hostetler (James Stewart). Miller is trying to buy out the town and is using intimidation tactics to get his way. Hostetler is determined to stand up to him and protect the townspeople.
When Miller’s men attempt to force Hostetler out of town, Books steps in to protect him. In the ensuing gun battle, Books kills Miller’s men and reveals his true identity as a gunfighter. The townspeople are shocked and fearful of Books, but he soon earns their respect when he helps them fight back against Miller’s henchmen.
In the end, Books is able to defeat Miller and his men, and the townspeople come to understand and appreciate his courage and determination. As Books’ health continues to decline, he spends his last days in peace, surrounded by the people
Where to Watch “The Shootist”
If you are wondering where to watch “The Shootist”?
Here are the platforms that are currently streaming “The Shootist” :
Note: The Justwatch widget detects your country and shows which streaming services have the title available. If no services are listed, it’s either because:
- The movie is not streaming in your country – Justwatch checks which platforms have the rights to show the title in your region.
- The movie is not actually streaming on any streaming platform – Justwatch checks all major streaming platforms, but some titles may not be available on any service.
The easy way to find out if it is blocked in your region is to use a VPN.
How to Use a VPN to Access More Titles
Here’s how you can use a VPN to watch “The Shootist” or any other title from anywhere in the world:
- Download and install a VPN app on your device. We recommend CyberGhostVPN or NordVPN.
- Connect to a server in another country where the title might be available. For example, try connecting to a US server.
- Check JustWatch again. It will now show services available in that country.
- Pick a streaming service and enjoy the title! The VPN encrypts your traffic so that it appears you’re in that country.
Using a VPN gives you access to more titles and lets you bypass geographic restrictions. Just connect to a different country and you can stream shows worldwide!
For a limited time, you can get CyberGhostVPN for 82% off and NordVPN for 63% off!
Both VPNs come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try them risk-free. With the discount, CyberGhostVPN is as little as $2.15/month and NordVPN is just $3.30/month.
Take advantage of these low prices to unlock more content and browse securely!
Recommended Movies similar to The Shootist