- Status: Released
- Movie Tagline: Based on the Novel by Henry James.
- Genres: Drama, Romance
- Release Date: 1996-10-17
- Runtime: 144.0 min
- Budget: Not Available
- Revenue: $3.7 million
- Production Companies: Propaganda Films, PolyGram Filmed Entertainment
Cast & Crew
Nicole Kidman, John Malkovich, Barbara Hershey, Mary, Louise Parker, Christian Bale, Shelley Winters, Richard E. Grant, Shelley Duvall, John Gielgud, Viggo Mortensen, Martin Donovan, Roger Ashton, Griffiths, Catherine Zago, Alessandra Vanzi, Valentina Cervi, Pat Roach, Amy Lindsay, Katherine Anne Porter, Eddy Seager, Emanuele Carucci Viterbi, Francesca Bartellini, Achille Brugnini
Synopsis – What to Expect from “The Portrait of a Lady”
The Portrait of a Lady is a 1996 romantic drama film directed by Jane Campion and based on the novel of the same name by Henry James. The film stars Nicole Kidman, John Malkovich, Barbara Hershey, Mary-Louise Parker, Shelley Winters, Viggo Mortensen, Christian Bale, and Martin Donovan.
The film tells the story of Isabel Archer (Kidman), a young American woman of independent means who travels to Europe in search of a new life. She is soon courted by two suitors: Gilbert Osmond (Malkovich) and Caspar Goodwood (Bale). Although Gilbert seems to be the ideal mate, Isabel soon realizes that he is controlling and manipulative. Caspar, on the other hand, is passionate and sincere, but Isabel is reluctant to give up her freedom.
At the same time, she is also pursued by her cousin Ralph Touchett (Donovan), who is in love with her, and by Madame Merle (Hershey), a mysterious woman who seems to have a hidden agenda. Isabel is eventually forced to make a difficult decision about which man she will choose and which path she will take.
The film follows Isabel as she navigates the complex choices of adulthood, and explores themes of freedom, identity, and love. The Portrait of a Lady is a thought-provoking and emotionally powerful story about a woman’s search for self-fulfillment and independence
Where to Watch “The Portrait of a Lady”
If you are wondering where to watch “The Portrait of a Lady”?
Here are the platforms that are currently streaming “The Portrait of a Lady” :
Note: The Justwatch widget detects your country and shows which streaming services have the title available. If no services are listed, it’s either because:
- The movie is not streaming in your country – Justwatch checks which platforms have the rights to show the title in your region.
- The movie is not actually streaming on any streaming platform – Justwatch checks all major streaming platforms, but some titles may not be available on any service.
The easy way to find out if it is blocked in your region is to use a VPN.
How to Use a VPN to Access More Titles
Here’s how you can use a VPN to watch “The Portrait of a Lady” or any other title from anywhere in the world:
- Download and install a VPN app on your device. We recommend CyberGhostVPN or NordVPN.
- Connect to a server in another country where the title might be available. For example, try connecting to a US server.
- Check JustWatch again. It will now show services available in that country.
- Pick a streaming service and enjoy the title! The VPN encrypts your traffic so that it appears you’re in that country.
Using a VPN gives you access to more titles and lets you bypass geographic restrictions. Just connect to a different country and you can stream shows worldwide!
For a limited time, you can get CyberGhostVPN for 82% off and NordVPN for 63% off!
Both VPNs come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try them risk-free. With the discount, CyberGhostVPN is as little as $2.15/month and NordVPN is just $3.30/month.
Take advantage of these low prices to unlock more content and browse securely!
Recommended Movies similar to The Portrait of a Lady