- Status: Released
- Movie Tagline: The wedding night, the anticipation, the kiss, the knife, BUT ABOVE ALL…THE SUSPENSE!
- Genres: Crime, Drama, Thriller
- Release Date: 1955-08-26
- Runtime: 93.0 min
- Budget: $0.8 million
- Revenue: Not Available
- Production Companies: United Artists, Paul Gregory Productions
Cast & Crew
Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters, Lillian Gish, James Gleason, Evelyn Varden, Peter Graves, Don Beddoe, Billy Chapin, Sally Jane Bruce, Gloria Castillo, James Griffith, Gloria Pall
Synopsis – What to Expect from “The Night of the Hunter”
The Night of the Hunter is a classic 1955 film directed by Charles Laughton and starring Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters, and Lillian Gish. Set in the 1930s, the plot follows a young widow, Willa Harper (Winters), and her two children, John (Billy Chapin) and Pearl (Sally Jane Bruce). When Willa’s husband, Ben (Peter Graves), is sentenced to prison for robbery, a menacing stranger, Harry Powell (Mitchum), arrives in town. Claiming to be a minister, Powell is really a conman and murderer who is after the $10,000 that Ben had stolen.
Powell begins to court Willa, but she soon discovers his true identity and her children become his target. She sends them away to stay with her elderly aunt, Rachel Cooper (Gish). Powell follows them, but Rachel is able to protect the children and keep them safe. With the help of a neighbor, Jim (James Gleason), and a local sheriff, Willa is able to track down Powell and confront him. In the end, Powell is arrested and the children are reunited with their mother.
The Night of the Hunter is a thrilling and suspenseful film with a strong moral message about the power of love and family. It is a timeless classic that is sure to entertain viewers of all ages.
Where to Watch “The Night of the Hunter”
If you are wondering where to watch “The Night of the Hunter”?
Here are the platforms that are currently streaming “The Night of the Hunter” :
Note: The Justwatch widget detects your country and shows which streaming services have the title available. If no services are listed, it’s either because:
- The movie is not streaming in your country – Justwatch checks which platforms have the rights to show the title in your region.
- The movie is not actually streaming on any streaming platform – Justwatch checks all major streaming platforms, but some titles may not be available on any service.
The easy way to find out if it is blocked in your region is to use a VPN.
How to Use a VPN to Access More Titles
Here’s how you can use a VPN to watch “The Night of the Hunter” or any other title from anywhere in the world:
- Download and install a VPN app on your device. We recommend CyberGhostVPN or NordVPN.
- Connect to a server in another country where the title might be available. For example, try connecting to a US server.
- Check JustWatch again. It will now show services available in that country.
- Pick a streaming service and enjoy the title! The VPN encrypts your traffic so that it appears you’re in that country.
Using a VPN gives you access to more titles and lets you bypass geographic restrictions. Just connect to a different country and you can stream shows worldwide!
For a limited time, you can get CyberGhostVPN for 82% off and NordVPN for 63% off!
Both VPNs come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try them risk-free. With the discount, CyberGhostVPN is as little as $2.15/month and NordVPN is just $3.30/month.
Take advantage of these low prices to unlock more content and browse securely!
Recommended Movies similar to The Night of the Hunter