- Status: Released
- Movie Tagline: He didn’t resist temptation. He pursued it.
- Genres: Drama, Romance
- Release Date: 2004-09-16
- Runtime: 114.0 min
- Budget: Not Available
- Revenue: $10.9 million
- Production Companies: Not Available
Cast & Crew
Johnny Depp, Samantha Morton, John Malkovich, Rosamund Pike, Paul Ritter, Stanley Townsend, Francesca Annis, Tom Hollander, Johnny Vegas, Richard Coyle, Tom Burke, Hugh Sachs, Rupert Friend, Kelly Reilly, Cara Horgan, Jack Davenport, Trudi Jackson, Clare Higgins, Jake Curran, Kevin Doyle, Paul Chahidi, T. P. McKenna
Synopsis – What to Expect from “The Libertine”
The Libertine is a 2004 British drama film that tells the story of John Wilmot, the Earl of Rochester, a 17th-century poet who is a notorious rake and libertine.
The film begins with John Wilmot (Johnny Depp) living a life of decadence and debauchery in the court of King Charles II (John Malkovich). Wilmot is a talented poet and a notorious womanizer, and his exploits are legendary. He is also a favorite of the King, who often turns a blind eye to his behavior.
Wilmot meets and falls in love with Elizabeth Malet (Samantha Morton), a young actress. Despite his reputation, Elizabeth is drawn to him and they become lovers. Wilmot is eventually forced to marry an heiress to save his estate, but his heart still belongs to Elizabeth.
Meanwhile, Wilmot’s behavior continues to spiral out of control. He is frequently drunk and engages in increasingly reckless behavior. He eventually contracts syphilis, and his health begins to decline.
As his health deteriorates, Wilmot begins to reflect on his life and his choices. He realizes that he has wasted his life and that he is going to die alone and unloved. He decides to make amends with Elizabeth and the two reconcile.
The film ends with Wilmot’s funeral, where Elizabeth reads a poem he wrote for her. The film is a powerful and poignant look at a life
Where to Watch “The Libertine”
If you are wondering where to watch “The Libertine”?
Here are the platforms that are currently streaming “The Libertine” :
Note: The Justwatch widget detects your country and shows which streaming services have the title available. If no services are listed, it’s either because:
- The movie is not streaming in your country – Justwatch checks which platforms have the rights to show the title in your region.
- The movie is not actually streaming on any streaming platform – Justwatch checks all major streaming platforms, but some titles may not be available on any service.
The easy way to find out if it is blocked in your region is to use a VPN.
How to Use a VPN to Access More Titles
Here’s how you can use a VPN to watch “The Libertine” or any other title from anywhere in the world:
- Download and install a VPN app on your device. We recommend CyberGhostVPN or NordVPN.
- Connect to a server in another country where the title might be available. For example, try connecting to a US server.
- Check JustWatch again. It will now show services available in that country.
- Pick a streaming service and enjoy the title! The VPN encrypts your traffic so that it appears you’re in that country.
Using a VPN gives you access to more titles and lets you bypass geographic restrictions. Just connect to a different country and you can stream shows worldwide!
For a limited time, you can get CyberGhostVPN for 82% off and NordVPN for 63% off!
Both VPNs come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try them risk-free. With the discount, CyberGhostVPN is as little as $2.15/month and NordVPN is just $3.30/month.
Take advantage of these low prices to unlock more content and browse securely!
Recommended Movies similar to The Libertine