- Status: Released
- Movie Tagline: For $10,000 they break your arms. For $20,000 they break your legs. Axel Freed owes $44,000.
- Genres: Drama, Crime
- Release Date: 1974-10-02
- Runtime: 111.0 min
- Budget: Not Available
- Revenue: Not Available
- Production Companies: Paramount
Cast & Crew
James Caan, Paul Sorvino, Lauren Hutton, Morris Carnovsky, Jacqueline Brookes, Burt Young, Carmine Caridi, Vic Tayback, Steven Keats, London Lee, M. Emmet Walsh, James Woods, Carl W. Crudup, Allan Rich, Stuart Margolin, Ric Mancini, Joel Wolfe, Raymond Serra, William Andrews, Joseph Attles, Antonio Fargas, Ernest Butler, Sully Boyar, Gregory Rozakis, Starletta DuPois, Lucille Patton, Ed Kovens, Baron Wilson, Richard Foronjy, Frank Sivero, Frank Adonis, Philip Sterling, Patricia Fay, Beatrice Winde, Leon Pinkney, Alisha Fontaine, Presley Caton, Mitch Stein, Jonathan Kushner, Charles Polk, Dick Schaap, Chick Hearn, Lawrence Hilton, Jacobs, Jerry Leon, Melanie Mayron
Synopsis – What to Expect from “The Gambler”
The Gambler is a 1974 American drama film starring James Caan, Paul Sorvino, Lauren Hutton, and Morris Carnovsky. It follows Axel Freed, a professor and compulsive gambler, as he struggles to overcome his addiction while trying to maintain his relationships with his family and friends.
The film opens with Axel Freed (James Caan) at a casino, gambling away his last few dollars. He wins a large sum of money and decides to take a break from gambling, but his addiction soon takes over, and he begins to gamble again. He borrows money from his mother and his best friend, Bill (Paul Sorvino), to continue gambling.
Axel’s mother (Morris Carnovsky) is concerned about his gambling and tries to convince him to stop, but he refuses. Meanwhile, Axel meets and falls in love with a student, Amy (Lauren Hutton). She encourages him to continue gambling, believing that he can win enough money to get out of debt.
Axel eventually gets into too deep and finds himself in debt to the mob. He is given an ultimatum: pay up or face the consequences. Bill and Amy help him come up with the money, but it is too late. Axel is kidnapped by the mob and taken to a remote location.
At the location, Axel is given one last chance to win the money he owes. He succeeds and is released, but he is traumatized
Where to Watch “The Gambler”
If you are wondering where to watch “The Gambler”?
Here are the platforms that are currently streaming “The Gambler” :
Note: The Justwatch widget detects your country and shows which streaming services have the title available. If no services are listed, it’s either because:
- The movie is not streaming in your country – Justwatch checks which platforms have the rights to show the title in your region.
- The movie is not actually streaming on any streaming platform – Justwatch checks all major streaming platforms, but some titles may not be available on any service.
The easy way to find out if it is blocked in your region is to use a VPN.
How to Use a VPN to Access More Titles
Here’s how you can use a VPN to watch “The Gambler” or any other title from anywhere in the world:
- Download and install a VPN app on your device. We recommend CyberGhostVPN or NordVPN.
- Connect to a server in another country where the title might be available. For example, try connecting to a US server.
- Check JustWatch again. It will now show services available in that country.
- Pick a streaming service and enjoy the title! The VPN encrypts your traffic so that it appears you’re in that country.
Using a VPN gives you access to more titles and lets you bypass geographic restrictions. Just connect to a different country and you can stream shows worldwide!
For a limited time, you can get CyberGhostVPN for 82% off and NordVPN for 63% off!
Both VPNs come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try them risk-free. With the discount, CyberGhostVPN is as little as $2.15/month and NordVPN is just $3.30/month.
Take advantage of these low prices to unlock more content and browse securely!
Recommended Movies similar to The Gambler