- Status: Released
- Movie Tagline: One simple lie destroyed everything they had.
- Genres: Drama
- Release Date: 1961-12-19
- Runtime: 108.0 min
- Budget: Not Available
- Revenue: Not Available
- Production Companies: The Mirisch Company, United Artists
Cast & Crew
Audrey Hepburn, Shirley MacLaine, James Garner, Miriam Hopkins, Fay Bainter, Veronica Cartwright, Karen Balkin, Sally Brophy, Mimi Gibson, William Mims, Hope Summers, Jered Barclay, William H. O’Brien, Leoda Richards, Harold Miller
Synopsis – What to Expect from “The Children’s Hour”
The Children’s Hour is a 1961 American drama film directed by William Wyler and starring Audrey Hepburn, Shirley MacLaine, James Garner, and Miriam Hopkins. It is based on the 1934 play of the same name by Lillian Hellman.
The film follows two women, Martha Dobie (Hepburn) and Karen Wright (MacLaine), who run a successful private school for girls in 1930s New England. When a malicious student, Mary Tilford (Karen Balkin), tells her grandmother an untrue story about the two women, the resulting scandal threatens to ruin the school and their reputations.
The story begins with Martha and Karen, two best friends who have opened a boarding school for girls. While the school is successful, their friendship is tested when Martha falls in love with Joe (Garner), a doctor who is engaged to another woman. Karen is supportive of her friend and encourages her to pursue her love.
Meanwhile, Mary, a student at the school, is a troublemaker and often tells lies to get her way. When Mary is scolded by Martha for her behavior, she retaliates by telling her grandmother a false story about the two women being lovers. The scandal spreads quickly and soon the school is in danger of being shut down.
Karen and Martha must fight to clear their names and save the school. In the end, they are vindicated and the school is saved, but at a cost.
Where to Watch “The Children’s Hour”
If you are wondering where to watch “The Children’s Hour”?
Here are the platforms that are currently streaming “The Children’s Hour” :
Note: The Justwatch widget detects your country and shows which streaming services have the title available. If no services are listed, it’s either because:
- The movie is not streaming in your country – Justwatch checks which platforms have the rights to show the title in your region.
- The movie is not actually streaming on any streaming platform – Justwatch checks all major streaming platforms, but some titles may not be available on any service.
The easy way to find out if it is blocked in your region is to use a VPN.
How to Use a VPN to Access More Titles
Here’s how you can use a VPN to watch “The Children’s Hour” or any other title from anywhere in the world:
- Download and install a VPN app on your device. We recommend CyberGhostVPN or NordVPN.
- Connect to a server in another country where the title might be available. For example, try connecting to a US server.
- Check JustWatch again. It will now show services available in that country.
- Pick a streaming service and enjoy the title! The VPN encrypts your traffic so that it appears you’re in that country.
Using a VPN gives you access to more titles and lets you bypass geographic restrictions. Just connect to a different country and you can stream shows worldwide!
For a limited time, you can get CyberGhostVPN for 82% off and NordVPN for 63% off!
Both VPNs come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try them risk-free. With the discount, CyberGhostVPN is as little as $2.15/month and NordVPN is just $3.30/month.
Take advantage of these low prices to unlock more content and browse securely!
Recommended Movies similar to The Children’s Hour