Avast, the company behind the pretty popular antivirus, has a browser arguably considered one of the best out there.
However, while this browser offers unique features like anti-fingerprinting protection, anti-tracking, blocks ads, and much more, it sometimes comes off as annoying, especially when the Avast browser opens on startup.
So, if you are dealing with this annoying feature which you may have knowingly or unknowingly implemented, this guide would show you ways to stop Avast browser opening on startup.
How to Stop Avast Browser Opening on Startup
1. Disable startup from Task Manager
You can stop Avast browser secure startup through your task manager. This is the quickest method and doesn’t involve you dealing with Avast directly.
Follow the steps below.
- Right-click on your taskbar or over the Windows icon, then select Task Manager. Alternatively, you can make use of the Alt + Ctrl + Del shortcut keys.
- Select the Startup tab. Usually, Task Manager displays the Process tab on launch.
- Locate and right-click on Avast Secure Browser, then select the Disable option.
Disabling it from the Task Manager only stops it from auto-starting; you can still access the browser by locating the icon and double-clicking it.
2. Disabling the browser via Avast
You can stop Avast browser from automatically starting by disabling the startup option directly from the Avast browser settings.
- Open Avast Secure browser
- Click on the menu button; it is represented by three vertical dots at the top right corner.
- Click on Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down and locate On Startup. Alternatively, you can search for On Startup with the search box there.
- Toggle off the switch next to Launch Avast Secure Browser automatically when your computer starts.
If Avast keeps notifying you to make it your default browser, toggle off the switch beside Always check to see if Avast Secure Browser is the default browser on startup.
3. Uninstall Avast Browser
Although the Avast Secure browser becomes part of your system when you install the Avast antivirus program, the browser and the antivirus program aren’t attached.
So, you can stop the Avast browser opening on startup by simply uninstalling just the browser, especially if you seldom use it.
- Open the Windows Start menu, then type in Control Panel, select the resulting application, or open the run window with Win + R, type in control panel, and hit Enter.
- Select Programs and Features
- Sift through programs to find Avast Browser and select.
- Click the Uninstall button at the top of the window. You could also right-click over the browser and select the Uninstall option.
4. Stop Avast Browser with a third-party tool
If, for some reason, none of the methods above worked, you’ll see how to stop Avast browser from opening on startup by using a third-party tool called Advanced PC clean-up.
Advanced PC clean-up has a free trial and premium version; the free trial has the feature we’ll be working with.
Other PC clean-up tools have the option to disable startup programs. If you use one, you can check if it offers that feature; if not, follow the steps below.
- Download the Advanced PC clean-up setup file, then run installation.
- Launch the program, and click on Startup Manager, which is at the left pane under Manager.
- From the list there, select Avast Browser, then click the bin icon under the Action section.
- If a pop-up appears, click on Yes to proceed.
When Avast opens on startup, it tends to obstruct our current activity. Things can get annoying when it keeps suggesting we make it the default browser.
But, it’s not that difficult to stop the Avast browser opening on startup. You can either disable Avast browser on startup from your Task Manager, stop it via the browser itself, uninstall entirely, then reinstall the browser or with a third-party tool. Please share with us which method you settled for.
How do I disable Avast Secure browser in Windows 10?
You can disable Avast Secure browser by uninstalling it with its removal tool.
– Download the removal tool from this link.
– Locate it, right-click over it, and select the Run as administrator– option.
– Select Yes if the User-Agent prompt pops up
– Click Uninstall from the following pop-up window and tick the box next to Also delete your browsing data.
– Allow the remover to uninstall Avast Secure browser and its accompanying data completely, then click on Ok, sure to complete uninstall survey.
Is Avast’s secure browser any good?
Yes, it is. This chromium-based browser is equipped with anti-tracking, anti-phishing, privacy cleaner, video downloader, and so much more, these features aren’t common among other browsers. It is a browser built to protect its user from all forms of internet security risks, and it does its best here.