- Status: Released
- Movie Tagline: A true story of the mystery of music and the miracle of love
- Genres: Drama
- Release Date: 1996-08-15
- Runtime: 105.0 min
- Budget: $5.5 million
- Revenue: $35.9 million
- Production Companies: Fine Line Features, Film Victoria, South Australian Feature Film Company, Australian Film Finance Corporation
Cast & Crew
Armin Mueller, Stahl, Noah Taylor, Geoffrey Rush, Lynn Redgrave, Googie Withers, Sonia Todd, Nicholas Bell, John Gielgud, Justin Braine, Chris Haywood, Alex Rafalowicz, Gordon Poole, Danielle Cox, Rebecca Gooden, Marta Kaczmarek, John Cousins, Paul Linkson, Randall Berger, Ian Welbourne, Kelly Bottrill, Beverley Vaughan, Phyllis Burford, Daphne Grey, Edwin Hodgeman, Maria Dafneros, Reis Porter, Stephen Sheehan, Brenton Whittle, Marianna Doherty, Camilla James, David King, Danny Davies, Helen Dowell, Louise Dorling, Seán Carlsen, Richard Hansell, Robert Hands, Marc Warren, Neil Thomson, Joey Kennedy, Ellen Cressey, Beverley Dunn, Andy Seymour, Ella Scott Lynch, Jethro Heysen, Hicks, John Martin, Bill Boyley, Teresa La Rocca, Lindsey Day, Grant Doyle, Leah Jennings, Kathy Monaghan, Mark Lawrence, Gordon Coombes, Luke Dollman, Margaret Stone, Tom Carrig, Helen Ayres, Suzi Jarratt, Samantha McDonald, Peter Osborn, Sandi Gardiner
Synopsis – What to Expect from “Shine”
Shine is a 1996 biographical drama film directed by Scott Hicks, based on the life of Australian pianist David Helfgott.
The film opens with a young David Helfgott (Alex Rafalowicz) performing a piano recital in Australia. His father, Peter (Armin Mueller-Stahl), is an emotionally distant, controlling man who takes his son’s passion for music as a personal affront. Despite his mother’s (Lynn Redgrave) attempts to shield her son from his father’s wrath, David is eventually sent away to a strict boarding school.
Years later, David (played by Noah Taylor) is a young adult, struggling with the emotional and psychological effects of his father’s abuse. He is also struggling to cope with the pressure of his musical studies, which his father insists he pursue. After a particularly difficult recital, David suffers a mental breakdown and is institutionalized.
A few years later, David (Geoffrey Rush) is released from the hospital and is taken in by a kind woman, Margaret (Lynette Curran). With Margaret’s help, David slowly begins to recover and eventually starts performing again. He is soon invited to perform in London, where he is met with rave reviews.
Though David is now a successful musician, his father’s presence still looms large in his life. When Peter shows up unexpectedly at one of David’s concerts, David is forced to confront the unresolved issues
Where to Watch “Shine”
If you are wondering where to watch “Shine”?
Here are the platforms that are currently streaming “Shine” :
Note: The Justwatch widget detects your country and shows which streaming services have the title available. If no services are listed, it’s either because:
- The movie is not streaming in your country – Justwatch checks which platforms have the rights to show the title in your region.
- The movie is not actually streaming on any streaming platform – Justwatch checks all major streaming platforms, but some titles may not be available on any service.
The easy way to find out if it is blocked in your region is to use a VPN.
How to Use a VPN to Access More Titles
Here’s how you can use a VPN to watch “Shine” or any other title from anywhere in the world:
- Download and install a VPN app on your device. We recommend CyberGhostVPN or NordVPN.
- Connect to a server in another country where the title might be available. For example, try connecting to a US server.
- Check JustWatch again. It will now show services available in that country.
- Pick a streaming service and enjoy the title! The VPN encrypts your traffic so that it appears you’re in that country.
Using a VPN gives you access to more titles and lets you bypass geographic restrictions. Just connect to a different country and you can stream shows worldwide!
For a limited time, you can get CyberGhostVPN for 82% off and NordVPN for 63% off!
Both VPNs come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try them risk-free. With the discount, CyberGhostVPN is as little as $2.15/month and NordVPN is just $3.30/month.
Take advantage of these low prices to unlock more content and browse securely!
Recommended Movies similar to Shine