- Status: Released
- Movie Tagline: “I am not allowed to love. But I will love you if that is your desire…”
- Genres: Drama, Romance
- Release Date: 1957-12-25
- Runtime: 147.0 min
- Budget: Not Available
- Revenue: Not Available
- Production Companies: Pennebaker Productions, William Goetz Productions
Cast & Crew
Marlon Brando, Patricia Owens, James Garner, Martha Scott, Miiko Taka, Miyoshi Umeki, Red Buttons, Kent Smith, Douglass Watson, Reiko Kuba, Soo Yong, Ricardo Montalban, Dennis Hopper, Peter Brown, Kenner G. Kemp, William Meader, Ralph Moratz, Rollin Moriyama, Yvonne Peattie, Phil Rhodes, Bill Saito, James Stacy, Audrey Swanson, Harlan Warde, William Wellman Jr.
Synopsis – What to Expect from “Sayonara”
Sayonara is a 1957 romantic drama set in post-World War II Japan. The film follows Major Lloyd Gruver (Marlon Brando), an American air force officer stationed in Japan. He meets and falls in love with a Japanese entertainer named Hana-ogi (Miiko Taka). Despite the disapproval of his father, General Gruver (Red Buttons), Lloyd pursues their relationship.
Lloyd and Hana-ogi face a difficult situation when the United States military institutes a policy that bans interracial marriages. Lloyd is forced to choose between his love for Hana-ogi and his duty to the military. He decides to marry Hana-ogi and resign from the military.
The couple move to the rural town of Karuizawa, where they are welcomed by the locals. They are able to find a degree of happiness in their new life, but they are still ostracized by their families and the military.
The couple’s situation worsens when Hana-ogi is diagnosed with leprosy. Lloyd is determined to stay with her despite the danger, but his father and the military are determined to keep them apart. In the end, Lloyd is able to convince the military to allow him to stay with Hana-ogi and they are able to find peace in their final days together.
Where to Watch “Sayonara”
If you are wondering where to watch “Sayonara”?
Here are the platforms that are currently streaming “Sayonara” :
Note: The Justwatch widget detects your country and shows which streaming services have the title available. If no services are listed, it’s either because:
- The movie is not streaming in your country – Justwatch checks which platforms have the rights to show the title in your region.
- The movie is not actually streaming on any streaming platform – Justwatch checks all major streaming platforms, but some titles may not be available on any service.
The easy way to find out if it is blocked in your region is to use a VPN.
How to Use a VPN to Access More Titles
Here’s how you can use a VPN to watch “Sayonara” or any other title from anywhere in the world:
- Download and install a VPN app on your device. We recommend CyberGhostVPN or NordVPN.
- Connect to a server in another country where the title might be available. For example, try connecting to a US server.
- Check JustWatch again. It will now show services available in that country.
- Pick a streaming service and enjoy the title! The VPN encrypts your traffic so that it appears you’re in that country.
Using a VPN gives you access to more titles and lets you bypass geographic restrictions. Just connect to a different country and you can stream shows worldwide!
For a limited time, you can get CyberGhostVPN for 82% off and NordVPN for 63% off!
Both VPNs come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try them risk-free. With the discount, CyberGhostVPN is as little as $2.15/month and NordVPN is just $3.30/month.
Take advantage of these low prices to unlock more content and browse securely!
Recommended Movies similar to Sayonara