- Status: Released
- Movie Tagline: She loves everything about her son … except who he is.
- Genres: Drama, History, TV Movie
- Release Date: 2009-01-24
- Runtime: 90.0 min
- Budget: Not Available
- Revenue: Not Available
- Production Companies: Permut Presentations, Once Upon a Time Films, Sladek Taaffe Productions
Cast & Crew
Ryan Kelley, Sigourney Weaver, Henry Czerny, Dan Butler, Austin Nichols, Carly Schroeder, Shannon Eagen, Scott Bailey, Rebecca Louise Miller, Susan Ruttan
Synopsis – What to Expect from “Prayers for Bobby”
Prayers for Bobby is a 2009 Lifetime television movie directed by Russell Mulcahy. It stars Sigourney Weaver as Mary Griffith, a devoutly religious mother whose gay son Bobby (Ryan Kelley) commits suicide due to her refusal to accept his homosexuality.
The movie opens with Mary Griffith (Weaver) as a young mother living in the suburbs of California in the 1970s. She is a devout Christian and is raising her four children with the same values. Mary’s youngest son Bobby (Kelley) is a sensitive and artistic child who shows signs of being different from his siblings.
As Bobby grows up, he struggles to reconcile his faith with his homosexuality. He attempts to pray away his feelings but eventually comes out to his family. Mary is horrified and refuses to accept him, believing that homosexuality is a sin. Bobby is devastated by his mother’s rejection and begins to fall into depression.
He attempts to take his own life but is unsuccessful. Mary eventually comes to terms with Bobby’s sexuality and begins to accept him. She joins a support group for parents with gay children and begins to fight for gay rights in her community.
Bobby eventually moves to San Francisco, where he finds a supportive community and begins to thrive. He is accepted by his peers and is able to be his true self. However, his depression continues to haunt him and he eventually takes his own life.
Mary is devastated by Bobby’s death and begins to question
Where to Watch “Prayers for Bobby”
If you are wondering where to watch “Prayers for Bobby”?
Here are the platforms that are currently streaming “Prayers for Bobby” :
Note: The Justwatch widget detects your country and shows which streaming services have the title available. If no services are listed, it’s either because:
- The movie is not streaming in your country – Justwatch checks which platforms have the rights to show the title in your region.
- The movie is not actually streaming on any streaming platform – Justwatch checks all major streaming platforms, but some titles may not be available on any service.
The easy way to find out if it is blocked in your region is to use a VPN.
How to Use a VPN to Access More Titles
Here’s how you can use a VPN to watch “Prayers for Bobby” or any other title from anywhere in the world:
- Download and install a VPN app on your device. We recommend CyberGhostVPN or NordVPN.
- Connect to a server in another country where the title might be available. For example, try connecting to a US server.
- Check JustWatch again. It will now show services available in that country.
- Pick a streaming service and enjoy the title! The VPN encrypts your traffic so that it appears you’re in that country.
Using a VPN gives you access to more titles and lets you bypass geographic restrictions. Just connect to a different country and you can stream shows worldwide!
For a limited time, you can get CyberGhostVPN for 82% off and NordVPN for 63% off!
Both VPNs come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try them risk-free. With the discount, CyberGhostVPN is as little as $2.15/month and NordVPN is just $3.30/month.
Take advantage of these low prices to unlock more content and browse securely!
Recommended Movies similar to Prayers for Bobby