- Status: Released
- Movie Tagline: History Needs Extraordinary Heroes
- Genres: Drama, History, War
- Release Date: 2009-04-02
- Runtime: 134.0 min
- Budget: $20.0 million
- Revenue: Not Available
- Production Companies: Hofmann & Voges Entertainment, Majestic Filmproduktion, EOS Entertainment, ZDF, Pampa Production, Huayi Brothers Media Corporation
Cast & Crew
Ulrich Tukur, Dagmar Manzel, Steve Buscemi, Daniel Brühl, Zhang Jingchu, Teruyuki Kagawa, Anne Consigny, Gottfried John, Mathias Herrmann, Tetta Sugimoto, Akira Emoto, Arata Iura, Shaun Lawton, Christian Rodska, Fang Yu, Dong Fu Lin, Christoph Hagen Dittmann, Hans, Eckart Eckhardt, Togo Igawa, Hans, Joachim Heist
Synopsis – What to Expect from “John Rabe”
John Rabe is a 2009 German-Chinese biographical war drama film directed by Florian Gallenberger and starring Ulrich Tukur in the title role. The film tells the true story of John Rabe, a German businessman who saved more than 200,000 Chinese during the 1937 Nanjing Massacre.
The film opens in 1937, as the Japanese Imperial Army launches a brutal attack on the Chinese city of Nanjing. John Rabe (Ulrich Tukur), a German businessman working for the Siemens company, is caught up in the chaos of the occupation. Despite the danger, Rabe decides to stay in the city and do whatever he can to protect its citizens. He sets up a safety zone, aided by a small group of international volunteers, and uses his influence to negotiate with the Japanese military.
The safety zone is successful in saving thousands of Chinese citizens from the Japanese onslaught. Despite his efforts, the Japanese continue to commit atrocities against the Chinese people. Rabe is determined to document the atrocities, and he begins to take photographs and write reports to send back to Germany.
Meanwhile, Rabe is also struggling with his own personal demons. He has been separated from his wife and children for many years, and he is also dealing with his own sense of guilt for having worked for a company that supplied the Japanese military with weapons.
Despite the danger and hardship, Rabe and his team of volunteers continue their work. Eventually, they
Where to Watch “John Rabe”
If you are wondering where to watch “John Rabe”?
Here are the platforms that are currently streaming “John Rabe” :
Note: The Justwatch widget detects your country and shows which streaming services have the title available. If no services are listed, it’s either because:
- The movie is not streaming in your country – Justwatch checks which platforms have the rights to show the title in your region.
- The movie is not actually streaming on any streaming platform – Justwatch checks all major streaming platforms, but some titles may not be available on any service.
The easy way to find out if it is blocked in your region is to use a VPN.
How to Use a VPN to Access More Titles
Here’s how you can use a VPN to watch “John Rabe” or any other title from anywhere in the world:
- Download and install a VPN app on your device. We recommend CyberGhostVPN or NordVPN.
- Connect to a server in another country where the title might be available. For example, try connecting to a US server.
- Check JustWatch again. It will now show services available in that country.
- Pick a streaming service and enjoy the title! The VPN encrypts your traffic so that it appears you’re in that country.
Using a VPN gives you access to more titles and lets you bypass geographic restrictions. Just connect to a different country and you can stream shows worldwide!
For a limited time, you can get CyberGhostVPN for 82% off and NordVPN for 63% off!
Both VPNs come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try them risk-free. With the discount, CyberGhostVPN is as little as $2.15/month and NordVPN is just $3.30/month.
Take advantage of these low prices to unlock more content and browse securely!
Recommended Movies similar to John Rabe