If you opted for Hulu + Live TV bundle you might have come across the “video not available in this location” error. This Hulu Home Location Error pops up when the server is unable to find your Home network.
This post will show you how to fix the Hulu Home Location Error.
Why Isn’t Hulu Working After My Home Location Changes?
Streaming local channels depends on the user’s home location. You won’t be able to stream local channels once you move to other locations. For example, if you are in New York, you will be able to view CBS 2 which is New York’s local news channel.
Once you move to California, you won’t be able to stream CBS 2, and only California’s local News channels will be available to you. This is how Hulu distributes the rights to view regional channels based on a streamer’s location.
The location restriction is in place so that there isn’t any conflict between the local and regional networks. However, national channels like AMC and ESPN will be available anywhere in the country.
But how does Hulu determine a home location and how does it switch? To understand that you need to know about Hulu’s Home Location Rules.
What Are Hulu’s Home Location Protocols?
- Hulu uses your IP Address to determine your Home Location. This is how it determines which regional and local channels to be distributed to streamers.
- Hulu Home Location gets automatically set in Living Room Devices like FireTV and Roku.
- While streaming Hulu on a mobile device, you have to check in to your home network at least once every 30 days. Else Hulu will be blocked on your device.
Other Reasons Why Hulu May Get Blocked While You Are In The Same Home Location
If you look into Hulu’s Location rules, its services can get blocked even when you are on the same home network. It may happen due to –
- If you were out and didn’t use your living room devices for more than 30 days, Hulu will register this inactivity. Because of this Hulu services might get blocked even when you were on the same home network.
- Using a mobile hotspot or other ISP to stream Hulu can cause this error.
- If you use VPN to mask your IP address, Hulu services won’t recognize your Home Network and block streaming on your devices.
How to Change Hulu Home Location Online?
- On the account page, you’ll see the option “Set of Change Home”
- Click on that link and set your preferred Home Network
Some tips –
- You can change your home network only 4 times in a span of 12 months!
- You can’t change your Home Network using a mobile wireless network, shared WiFi, or mobile hotspots.
How to Get Around Hulu Home Location Error?
The best way to fix Hulu home location error is to follow Hulu’s home location protocols.
Hulu uses your IP address and GPS location to determine your home location. So if you try to use a VPN to redirect your IP address you won’t be able to mask your GPS location.
If you are using VPN, the first step would be to disable it and check whether Hulu services are able to pick up your current home location.
Single Usage of Live TV Plan
Hulu’s Live TV plan is meant for single-home usage. If you use your subscription on multiple homes your subscription won’t work and most likely Hulu will be blocked.
Hulu + Live TV only supports two screens. If you are running Hulu on more than two devices, you can either opt for the Unlimited Screens add-on or get multiple Hulu Live TV subscriptions and use different accounts to sign into Hulu in other homes.
Periodic Mobile Check-ins
On your mobile devices, you need to use your Home Network while accessing Hulu within 30 days to continue enjoying regional and local networks. You will get blocked if you access Hulu on any of your mobile devices using other networks.
So make sure you check in to your home network and use Hulu periodically.
Update Home Network Online
If you have moved to a new locale or Hulu got blocked for not logging in within 30 days, here’s how you can set up your Home network –
- Log out of your account
- Make sure that you are not connected to a mobile hotspot or shared WiFi.
- Log in again with your credentials on your living room device.
- Navigate to the Hulu accounts page
- Click Set or Change Home Network
- Your Home Location will be automatically set if you haven’t changed the home location more than 4 times within 12 months.
That’s it. You shouldn’t be getting a Hulu home location error if you follow the above steps. If you are facing other Hulu-related errors, here’s every single Hulu error you might get and how to fix them.