With the whole world going online in the post-pandemic world, services like Discord, Hulu, Slack, and Netflix are gaining ground unlike ever before. And although we can easily entertain ourselves with episodes of our favorite shows, it’s just about as much of a pain to set up a Discord stream as it is to set up bots to do anything automated on a server.
But, like with all other things, we are here to make things simpler. Here’s how to stream Hulu on Discord and more.
Hulu on Discord
Why would you want to stream Hulu on Discord?
If you want to stream it on Discord with your friends, we are assuming that you already know about the streaming service. Hulu is one of the most watched streaming services in the world, with shows like Atlanta, The Handmaid’s Tale and more in its repertoire.
So, with a viewer count nearing the amount that Netflix has, it is no surprise that Hulu is an absolute top-tier streaming service.
But Why Stream Hulu on Discord?
To people that are new to Discord, it is a platform designed for communication, especially group communication, between individuals inside specific channels in servers.
Here, you join a server and can talk to other people on the same communications channel, and interact with various bots designed to make your experience better (with music players and more).
Another advantage of Discord is that you also get to stream content that you are watching or interacting with to your friends who are on the same communications channel as you.
For example, I regularly stream my sessions of Overwatch 2 to my friends across the world who aren’t on it, in a bid to finally convince them to try it.
Discord makes communication across the world more convenient, and that is why we are here.
And as far as “Why Hulu” is concerned, Under The Banner Of Heaven is one of the more promising crime thrillers around, with A-lister Andrew Garfield headlining it.
Fleishman Is In Trouble is another great upcoming series with an A-lister, where a doctor in his early 40s gets in trouble while trying to balance being a single father and being new to the dating scene.
Now, let’s get to the how.
Read More: How to Fix Hulu VPN Error: Easiest Way to Do It
How To Stream Hulu On Discord (Without A Black Screen)
A prerequisite is to, of course, have accounts both on Hulu and on Discord. And since Hulu does not allow streaming as it does not have tools built in to enable it, we will have to find a workaround to get it working on Discord.
Here are the steps –
- Navigate to the Hulu website, or the Hulu app on the device that you want to stream from, and log in to your account.
- Log in to your Discord with your credentials or by scanning the QR code from your mobile app.
- Get into the server that you will be streaming to your friends from, and join the voice channel that everybody else is in.
- Go to the Settings tab inside Discord, and navigate to Activity Settings. Inside it, go to Registered Games, and add the browser that you have opened Hulu on to the Registered Games.
- Go back to the main server interface on Discord, and you will find a ‘desktop’ icon at the bottom left of your screen next to your username.
- Click on the desktop icon. You will see a pop-up with a list of different settings.
- The settings you will see correspond to the program that you are trying to stream, which will be the Hulu tab or your desktop or the Hulu app. Set it accordingly.
- The final setting will be the visual quality of the stream. By default, it is set to 1080p 30fps, but with Discord Nitro, a subscription service, it can be increased.
- Just click on “Go Live” and you’re all set!
How To Stream Discord On Hulu Without A Black Screen
Uh oh, hold up. Is the screen above the only thing your friends are seeing? Here’s why.
The instructions we just gave you WILL get you streaming to your friends, but they won’t be tuning into whatever episode of Atlanta you are waiting for. Instead, it will just be a big, black screen on their end.
This happens because content that is available on specific streaming platforms is quite heavily DRM-protected to prevent situations like these. But there is a way to bypass this.
- Go back to Discord, open Settings and go to “Voice and Video” and “Video Codec” and disable. What this does, is turn off Hardware Acceleration.
- Scroll down to the advanced settings under “Voice and Video” and under the “Screen Share” category, select “Use our latest technology to capture your screen”.
- Select the “Stream” setting in the instructions we gave you earlier, configure your stream, and you’re actually FINALLY good to go.
And that’s that. But there is a catch to this.
While there is this way to stream Hulu on Discord with your friends, DRM software is getting stronger, and companies are getting even stricter with their copyright-protected content.
We would advise you to carefully read the licenses and all of the other information about watching copyrighted content on any streaming service to avoid legal repercussions, worst case.
Read More: What Does Exp Mean on Hulu?