Not everyone knows how to screenshot on Asus laptops. However, the Windows operating system is standard on Asus laptops across Taiwan, Vivobook, and Zenbook models.
Therefore, the methods you’ll learn here can be applied on almost all Windows PCs as well.
If there’s a piece of info you want to view later but isn’t a text so can’t be “copied and pasted” or a bulky text, this guide would show you how to take screenshots on Asus laptops; taking screenshots is a different way of saving information.
How to screenshot on Asus Laptop
1. With the Windows built-in feature
Here, you’ll see how to screenshot on Asus to achieve three different results. You can capture the whole screen, capture an active window, or take a customized screenshot.
Capture the whole screen
You can capture the whole screen of your Asus laptop with the PrtSc key only or with both the PrtSc and the Windows button.
i. With the PrtSc only –
- Locate the PrtSc key on your keyboard and press it. Windows copies the current screen on display to your clipboard.
- Press the Windows key or click the Windows icon to open the Start menu. In the search box, type in Paint and select the Paint app.
- In the Paint window, paste the screenshot with the Ctrl + V shortcut key. Alternatively, you can right-click and select the Paste option.
- Save the screenshot by pressing the Ctrl + S shortcut key.
ii. With PrtSc and Windows key (Win 8/8.1/10)
- Simultaneously press the Window and PrtSc keys.
- Windows automatically saves the capture in your screenshots folder. Follow this file path “C:\Users\[Your Name]\Pictures\Screenshots” or press the Win + E shortcut key to launch Windows Explorer, then click on Pictures and locate the Screenshots folder.
Capture Active screen
An active screen in this context may be an app or program that’s currently in use and on display. Click any section of your screen to make it active, or open your preferred app.
- Simultaneously press Alt + PrtSc to capture your screen.
- Press the Windows key or click the Windows icon to launch the Start menu.
- In the search field, type in Paint and select the Paint app.
- When in, press the Ctrl + V button to paste the screenshot or right-click and select the Paste option.
- Finally, use Ctrl + S to save the screenshot.
Most times, we want just a particular part of our screen and not everything visible. The steps below would show you how to take a customized screenshot on an Asus laptop.
i. With keyboard (Windows 10 only)
- Simultaneously press the Windows + Shift + S keys.
- Your system brightness reduces. Using your mouse, drag your cursor around what you want to screenshot. Windows creates a dialog box that expands the more you drag it (Rectangular Clip); also, after pressing the shortcut keys above, you can select the Free-form clip next to the Rectangular Clip.
- When done, click the Start menu, search and select Paint.
- Use Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot or select the Paste option from the right-click menu.
- You can edit the screenshot with the Paint tool. When done, use Ctrl + S to save the screenshot.
ii. With a snipping tool
- Open your Start menu with the Windows button or by clicking the Windows icon.
- Type in Snip and select the resulting application.
- When the Snipping tool opens, click on New.
- Drag your cursor with your mouse to select a specific part of your screen. The default feature is the Rectangular clip; you can switch to the Free-form clip or Full-screen clip.
- When done, leave the cursor and locate the Save snip option from the next window.
- Launch Windows Explorer with Win + E keys, go to Pictures, and open the Screenshots folder to find your screenshot.
2. With a Browser extension
Although the methods above can work on your browsers, they still have their limits. With some browser extensions, you can capture both the visible part of a web page, the entire web page, or access a number of other screenshot options.
A simple search on the Chrome store shows options, but you shouldn’t download any random extension because some may pose a threat of some sort, although Google does its best to combat this.
Some of the best screenshot apps as Chrome extensions are –
How they work or the features they offer often differs with each extension; however, one common thing is, after downloading and installing them, they are all accessible from the extension bar at the top right corner of your Chrome.
If you can’t find them there, click the puzzle icon to display all extensions. You can then pin its icon to the main extensions bar.
To take a screenshot, click the extension’s icon and follow the instructions.
3. With a third-party tool
The inbuilt Windows feature is limited; to break these limits, we often turn to third-party tools. Many third-party tools are available; however, we’ll take these two, Snagit and Screenrec.
i. Snagit (Premium)
The steps below show how to screenshot on Asus laptop using Snagit. With Snagit, you can take screenshots and edit them. In addition, it offers many photo editing features. Snagit cost $50.
- Visit this link to download Snagit.
- Create an account, then sign in. Next, click the big, bold red capture button.
- Snagit then presents a tool to drag and select a section on your screen. When done, click the camera icon to capture the selected area.
- An edit screen opens. When done, use the Ctrl + S buttons to save.
ii. Screenrec (free)
Screenrec is a bit like Snagit, although it is lighter and free. This is how to screenshot on Asus laptop with Screenrec.
- Visit this link to download the app.
- Press Alt + S to launch it, then select a capture region.
- Click the Camera button to capture, then edit with annotations from the edit screen.
- Make use of any of the save options there.
This guide has shown you how to screenshot on Asus’s laptop in three different ways. You can make use of Windows inbuilt feature, a browser extension, or a third-party app. All these methods have their various features and limits.
Thank you for stopping by; share with us the way you used it.
Q. Where is the PrtScn button?
The PrtScn is sometimes tricky to find; while most keyboards have a whole key designated to it, others may combine it with another key. However, the Prt Sc, Print Screen, or PrtScn is often at the top-right corner of the keyboard.