What’s better than binging shows & movies by yourself? I’d say binging with your friends & loved ones without a doubt. That is unless you’re the lone-wolf type of individual. But how to screen share Netflix?
The best part about using Discord is its efficient screen-sharing feature that allows me to stream Netflix with my friends using one single Netflix account. So, it’s pretty convenient, as you may have guessed already.
You can also use third-party streaming sites to stream content, but these servers are pretty laggy and buffer too much for my liking. That’s why I prefer Netflix much more.
But I know you must be wondering how can I screen share Netflix with the black screen.
How To Screen Share Netflix on Discord?
I know you’ve already tried screen-sharing Netflix, but you weren’t able to due to the black screen. Well, that’s Netflix’s way of promoting its services and urging users to buy subscription plans.
But I’ll be honest, not everybody’s got the bucks to subscribe to their streaming tiers which, at times, do get pretty expensive. That’s especially true if you’re still a student and making ends meet barely.
That’s exactly why I’ve prepared this article for you so you can learn how you can screen share Netflix using Discord, which is no doubt an extremely incredible service in itself.
The reason you’ve been failing is that you’re using the Netflix app. I think it’s pretty safe to say that it’s impossible to screen share Netflix using Discord through the Netflix app. I’ve tried all hacks and customized all settings but failed miserably.
However, I was successful in screen-sharing Netflix on Discord using a browser. Therefore, I advise using a browser instead of the Netflix app.
At the same time, I suggest making some browser setting changes because the default browser settings don’t allow screen sharing on Netflix.
So, the following are the methods I prepped for you to fine-tune your browsers, specifically Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Google Chrome. I’m using my laptop in this case, so I need you to keep that in mind. These settings will work on desktops as well but not on iOS platforms.
Keep in mind that you won’t be able to stream in 60FPS or resolutions higher than 720p unless you’re subscribed to Discord Nitro.
On Mozilla Firefox Browser
- Hover towards your right section and tap on the 3 lines horizontally stacked together.
- Navigate to the options and access Settings.
- Head over to General and navigate down the options until you reach Performance settings.
- You’ll see Use recommended performance settings. It’ll be selected by default. Unselect it.
- Again, you’ll need to unselect the Use hardware acceleration when available box.
- Open Discord browser or app based on your preference. However, I’d suggest you install the Discord app beforehand for a smoother experience.
- Connect to your local Discord server you’ve made with your friends.
- Access your bottom left area and tap on the Share Your Screen icon.
- Tap on Mozilla Firefox on which you’re streaming Netflix under Applications.
- Finally, tap on Go Live after selecting the Frame Rate & Resolution of your preference.
On Microsoft Edge
- Navigate to your upper right area & tap on the 3 horizontal dots arranged together.
- Open Settings & choose System and performance right after.
- You’ll find Use hardware acceleration when available. Go ahead and turn the toggle OFF. Plus, it requires a system Restart as well.
- Head over to Netflix using Microsoft Edge & Sign In. Select the show/movie you’re planning to stream. Don’t start it yet, though.
- Access the Discord app & log in if you’re not already logged in.
- Join your Discord server to stream movies with your friends.
- Select the Share Your Screen option. You’ll find it in the bottom left corner.
- Access the Microsoft Edge Netflix box under Applications & select Go Live.
- Navigate back to the Microsoft Edge Netflix page & start your Netflix show/movie.
On Google Chrome
- Access the 3 vertical dots arranged together on your right upper side.
- Go ahead and tap on Settings & select System from the given options.
- You’ll see the Use hardware acceleration when available. Switch it off.
- Open Netflix on your Chrome browser and Sign In.
- Choose the content you want to screen share with your friends. Keep it paused.
- Start the Discord app & simply tap on the server you want to join. Take note that your other friends must use the same Discord server.
- Access the Share Your Screen icon on your left bottom side.
- Tap on the box showing Google Chrome & choose Go Live.
- Open your Chrome Netflix window and screen share Netflix on Discord.
How To Screen Share Netflix On Discord Mobile?
True, I just laid down several detailed methods for you to screen share Netflix on Discord without ever getting that ugly black screen. But it’s simply not possible to screen share Netflix on Discord mobile.
“NOT EVEN ON ANDROID PHONES?”
No! You won’t be able to screen-share Netflix. That goes for both Android & iOS platforms.
I did try tweaking my spare Android phone settings or using third-party methods to see whether it screen shares Netflix. However, it was a bust operation.
Don’t get me wrong. You can screen share and Go Live using your smartphones. At the same time, it won’t let you screen share Netflix because it means sharing your smartphone screen.
You can still log in to Discord, join a server, and watch videos together on your phones.
The only issue is you can’t be the one to Share Your Screen. Your friend can screen share Netflix using their laptop or PC & then you can join and watch their stream.
Following are the steps to do that.
On Your iOS/Android Smartphones
- Open Discord and log in.
- Open the server by tapping on it. Make sure you & your friends are using the same Discord server.
- Hover over your friend’s username who’s sharing their screen and tap on it.
- You now need only choose the Join Stream option to access the stream.
How To Screen Share Netflix On Facetime?
I mentioned above that you can’t screen share Netflix content using Discord on your Android/iOS smartphones. The same goes for Facetime as well.
You still can’t use any iOS platform or features to screen share Netflix at the time I’m putting this detailed guide together. And that’s because Netflix isn’t one of those streaming platforms that are compatible with SharePlay.
That’s pretty weird if I’m being honest; since many streaming platforms do support SharePlay.
How To Screen Share Netflix On Zoom Without Black Screen?
I suggest you make sure that you’ve followed the methods I mentioned in the earlier sections before you dive into the following steps.
The same logic holds: You can’t screen share Netflix via the Netflix app. I recommend you make use of Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, or Google Chrome to screen share Netflix on Zoom.
On Mozilla Firefox Browser
- Choose the 3 lines horizontally stacked together situated on your right section.
- Access the options in the small window and tap on Settings.
- Open General and head over toward the options. Access options under Performance settings.
- Access Use recommended performance option. It remains selected by default. You need to Unselect it.
- You’ll now find another option termed Use hardware acceleration when available. Go ahead and unselect it.
- Open Netflix.com on your Firefox browser and Sign In by putting in your username & password.
- Stream the Netflix episode/movie and keep it paused.
- You now need to start your Zoom app. Go ahead and Sign In using your details.
- Access the bottom section of your device screen & tap on Participants.
- Choose the Invite option to allow your friends to join the Zoom room.
- Access the Share Screen option once you’ve gathered your friends.
- Tap on the Mozilla Firefox Netflix box. Make sure you’ve turned on the Optimize for video clip & Share sound boxes.
Other participants in the room won’t hear the audio clearly & get a pixelated stream experience if you don’t.
- Go back to your Mozilla Firefox Netflix window and play the content.
On Microsoft Edge
- Select the 3 horizontal dots stacked together on your top right side.
- Go right ahead and tap on Settings & select System and performance.
- You’ll find an option termed Use hardware acceleration when available. Switch OFF the toggle for the same.
- You now need to access your Microsoft Edge Netflix site. Go right ahead & Sign In.
- Tap on the Netflix show/movie you want to share on Zoom
- Access your Zoom app & Sign In right after using your login details.
- Navigate towards the bottom side of your device screen & access Participants.
- Tap on the Invite option & let your friends join the Zoom room.
- Navigate to the Share Screen option now after your friends have all joined the room.
- You need to choose the Microsoft Edge Netflix box. Ensure to check the Optimize for video clip & Share sound boxes.
- Access your Microsoft Edge Netflix window & enjoy!
On Google Chrome
- Look towards your top right area and choose the 3 vertical dots.
- Open Settings after that. It’ll let you access the System menu.
- You’ll find the Use hardware acceleration when available menu option. Switch OFF the option.
- Access Netflix on your Chrome browser. Sign In after that.
- Stream the content you want to screen share & keep it paused.
- Run your Zoom app. Go right ahead & Sign In.
- Tap on Participants. It’ll be on the lower section of your device screen.
- Navigate to the option Invite & let your friends join the same Zoom room.
- Choose Share Screen right after so your friends have access to your Netflix stream.
- Tap on the Google Chrome Netflix box. Do not forget to turn ON the Optimize for video clip & Share sound boxes.
- Head over to your Google Chrome Netflix window & screen share Netflix on Zoom without a black screen.
How To Screen Share Netflix On Mac Computers?
I’d say it’s not technically screen-sharing Netflix on Mac computers. You can watch Netflix content on Mac using 3rd party apps like Rave or Teleparty.
On Your Mac Device
- Open Rave in your browser. You’ll see options to Install Rave on many platforms.
- Tap on Mac & install it on your system.
- Proceed further by making a Rave account using your Google, Twitter, or Facebook accounts.
- On the right side of your screen, find and click on Netflix and Sign In using your Netflix login details.
- Stream the content you want to share but keep it paused.
- Look towards your bottom right section. You’ll find the Invite link there.
- Copy the given Invite link and give it to your friends you’re streaming with so they can also join the stream.
Here’s why Discord is better than Rave– everyone who joins the Netflix stream needs to have their own Netflix subscription to join a Rave watch party. On the other hand, that’s not so with Discord which requires only one person to have the Netflix subscription plan.
But, after all is said and done, I prefer Teleparty to stream Netflix shows & movies with my friends. Its working mechanism is the same as Rave. However, you don’t need the app; it works through a browser extension.
So, that’s how to screen share Netflix using various devices & browsers. I agree that the process is pretty tardy but you gotta do what you gotta if you want to screen-share Netflix.
Make sure you check Netflix CS & Netflix Reddit to stay up to date on what other Netflix users are up to.