Taking screenshots on Windows is relatively easy and common as the keys and process are a no-brainer.
However, not everyone knows how to screen record on Windows, as many aren’t even aware of the Game Bar feature, which aids you to screen capture Windows 10.
Nevertheless, recording your Windows screen could come in handy, be it for capturing gameplay or creating a tutorial.
So, if you are looking for how to record your screen on Windows 10, this guide is for you.
How to Record Screen on Windows 10
1. With Windows Game Bar
Like its name suggest, Game Bar was explicitly created for gamers, those who game directly from their PC or stream with their Xbox One; it is the #1 screen recorder on Windows 10.
Nevertheless, you can use this tool to record across different screen activities or apps, like your web browser and a few others; its limitations are that it can’t record your File Manager or the whole desktop.
By default, Game Bar is available on every Windows 10 operating system; however, there are some system requirements you need to meet to screen capture Windows 10 using this tool, but below, we’ll show you a walk around.
- Open the app or start the activity you want to record.
- Press the Win + G shortcut keys to launch the Game Bar dialogue box.
(If the Win + G doesn’t open the Game Bar dialogue, open the Windows start menu by pressing the Windows key or clicking the Windows icon, then search for Game bar settings and toggle the Enable Xbox Game Bar switch on.)
- Tick the box next to Yes, this is a game or Enable gaming features for this app to record gameplay. You must tick this box even when you aren’t recording a game.
- Click the Start recording button (often bold red); alternatively, you can use Win + Alt + R keys.
- When done recording, click the red recording bar, which is often at the top-right corner; if you can’t find it, press Win + G to bring back Game Bar.
Other things to know about Game Bar
- Game Bar saves your recordings as MP4 files in your Videos folder inside a subfolder named Captures.
- You can also take screenshots with Game Bar. Click the camera button instead of the bold red button or use the Win + Alt + PrtScn shortcut keys.
- You can see how long you’ve been recording from the top right side of your screen.
- To record your voice alongside the screen, locate and click on the microphone icon. Ensure you have a working microphone available.
- Game Bar makes all your captures available from the Show all captures button.
- From the Game Bar settings window, you can customize your shortcuts.
- On some computers, pressing the Win + G keys offers the direct recording tool and others both the recording tool and some widgets. Next, click the Widget menu icon and select the widgets you’ll want to use.
Background recording with Game Bar
You’ve seen how to screen record on Windows 10 with Game Bar.
The steps above show you how to record activities right before the start, but did you know you can record actions that have already passed?
If your system meets the requirements, you can record the last 15 seconds to 10 minutes. To take advantage of this feature, you’ll need to enable it.
- Open the Start menu by clicking the Windows icon or pressing the Windows key.
- Type in Game bar in the search field, then select Game bar controller settings.
- When in, click on Captures from the left pane, then under the Background recording title, toggle on the switch below Record in the background while I’m playing a game and select how long you want it to capture from beforehand.
- To record passed actions, press the Win + G shortcut keys, then select the Record last 30 seconds button.
My system doesn’t meet the Game Bar requirements
If you encounter this message “Sorry, this PC doesn’t meet the hardware requirements for recording clips. For more info, go to Game bar settings” know your system isn’t compatible.
But fret not as there are other ways to record a screen on Windows 10 without it right below. Note that, it’s almost pointless going to the Game Bar settings as there’s nothing you can do there.
A ton of modern graphics cards or processors support encoders that are compatible with Game Bar.
Below are encoders that can work with Game Bar
- AMD VCE
- Intel Quick Sync H.264 (All Intel second-generation CPU or newer)
- Nvidia NVENC (a good number of Nvidia GeForce 600 or later; Quadro K series or more recent models)
To see your video card, open the Windows start menu and search for Device Manager, then expand Adapters.
Windows recommended solution is to upgrade your PC, its hardware, or getting a compatible video card. If you can’t do any of these, try this third-party utility tool called Game DVR config.
- Visit this GitHub page and download the GameDVR_Config.exe file. Launch it, then tick the box next to Force software MFT (16 FPS + VBR).
- Then open your Task Manager; you can use the CTRL + SHIFT + ESC shortcut keys or right-click on your taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Select the Process tab, locate Gamebar Presence Writer, right-click over it and click End Task.
- Finally launch Game Bar with the Win + G to try it again.
2. With PowerPoint
This method is only possible for those with Microsoft desktop alongside a Microsoft 365 subscription.
You can’t use this feature with the online-only version.
- Launch PowerPoint, then click on Insert at the top menu bar, then select the Screen Recording button in the Media panel at your far right.
- Your screen dims, then it offers you the option to carve out the section to record. Your target area is then surrounded with red. Finally, you can use the Win + Shift + F keys to record the entire screen. PowerPoint offers a Pause button to allow you to take breaks.
- When done, save the recording by right clicking the video visible in the PowerPoint and select Save Media from the pop-up menu. It then asks for a file path to save it.
Editing with PowerPoint is pretty limited, but well, you can screen capture Windows 10 with it.
3. With OBS
While Windows Game Bar gets the job down, it is pretty limited.
Next, we’ll introduce Open Broadcaster Software (OBS), a tool that does much more than Game Bar.
Gamers often use OBS to broadcast games; it also offers the room to record your stream alongside many editing features to give the best results.
Here’s how to record screen on windows 10 using OBS.
- Download and install OBS from here, then launch it. OBS may appear complex at first, but after a few clicks, you should find it interesting.
- Select your audio devices by going to Settings then selecting the Audio Tab. Choose both your audio and microphone devices here, then hit Apply, followed by OK.
- Launch the program, app, or window you plan to record. This is done by adding source to OBS. Source in this case stands for where the info OBS would record would come from. Click on Media Source in the main dashboard. You can add your entire display by clicking the + arrow, then Select Screen Capture and click Ok.
- Consider adjusting the volume levels of your desktop audio and its microphone audio with the mixer.
- Click the Start Recording button and proceed.
Bandicam is a screen recording software and is quite popular among gamers. It enables you to record your screen in high resolutions, including 4k.
In addition, users can record at 144 FPS; However, it doesn’t offer many editing features; you can still add some animations and mouse click effects to a recorded video.
Bandicam is lightweight and offers just Mp4 and AVI video format. With this tool, you can record a part of your screen, the entire screen, webcam, and your game console.
How To Screen Record on Windows 10 with Bandicam
- Download Bandicam from their website. Its free version offers only 10 minutes of recording with watermarks on the video output.
- Launch Bandicam then customize your audio and microphone devices.
- Press the rectangle at the top left corner to select a screen mode, then click the big, bold red record button or use the F12 hotkey to start
- When done, hold F12 to stop recording.
The rectangle at the top also gives the option for a full-screen record and other features.
This is another third-party web-based recording tool. It can be launched from your browser, or you can use it offline with its app.
How to record screen on Windows 10 with Screencast-O-Matic
- Open the page or app you want to record. Visit this page, then click on Launch Screen Recorder.
- A pop-up indicates the recorder is starting if it doesn’t download the app and start recording.
6. Other third-party apps
Other third-party apps to try are –
- Camtasia: With over 14 million users, Camtasia can record full screens, window region and webcam. It comes with fundamental editing features like trim, split, cut, annotations, zoom-n-pan. It also offers free assets like videos, images, GIFs, audio, motion background and much more.
- ActivePresenter: Unlike others, its free version doesn’t include any watermarks, ads, or time restrictions; you can split your recordings, alter its speed, add annotations and animations with ActivePresenter. Users can record the whole screen, specific windows, webcams, microphones and also computer sounds.
- Free Cam: This is a straightforward tool that allows you to record your screen activity and audio and saves your video in a WMV file. You can capture a single window or an entire screen with Free Cam.
If you were looking for how to record your screen on Windows 10, we hope these solutions more than suffice. Although the unpopular Game Bar is the first go-to screen recorder on Windows 10, its features are somewhat limited and aren’t compatible with all PCs.
Nevertheless, we noted other tools like OBS, Bandicam, Screencast-O-Matic, and a ton of third-party tools. PowerPoint also has a feature to screen record, which we discussed above. Let us know which one did you find it comfortable to record with.
Q. How do I record my screen on Windows 10 with sound?
Tools like Game Bar, OBS, Bandicam, and a ton of other software offer this feature. Most even allow webcam recordings and computer sound. Ensure you are in a quiet place when recording with sound, especially when using a microphone.
Q. How do I record my screen on Windows 10 without the Game Bar?
You can make use of third-party tools like OBS, PowerPoint, Bandicam, Screencast-O-Matic, and others. Most of these tools have free versions, which is often more than enough. However, to get the best of them, you may need to purchase their premium version.
Q. How do I record my screen on Windows 10 for free?
OBS and ActivePresenter are two screen recorders that offer free recordings with no condition attached. OBS may be a bit complex at first, but there’s nothing a few YouTube how-tos can’t fix.
Q. How long can you screen record on Windows 10?
It all falls to the tool or method you are recording with. Tools like OBS allow you to record for as long as you want. Game Bar can record for 2 hours at most while its background recording is for 10 minutes. 2 hours is often more than enough, but if you plan on recording longer, go with OBS.