Unlike other Hulu errors, the Hulu Error Code 21 is displayed when Hulu services face network-related problems. You can encounter this error on web browsers or on the dedicated Hulu app on different devices.
We found out its root cause and the easiest way to fix this error. Read on!
What Is Hulu Error Code 21?
When you get the Hulu Error Code 21, the message “Error: 21 – ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED” is displayed on the screen. It is a network-related issue. The error means Hulu servers noticed a change in your internet service carrier.
As the internet access endpoints changed, Hulu interrupted your streaming and displayed an error message. This error can be due to the following:
Faulty Connection/ WiFi setup
If Hulu servers can’t respond to your device due to a faulty internet connection, it can display this error. It can also show up if your modem/ router settings are manually changed.
Using Anonymous Proxy Tools
Third-party anonymous browsing tools help to protect your anonymity while you are surfing on the web. This feature prohibits Hulu’s services from sending responses to your devices. It’s better you disable such tools while streaming Hulu.
Hulu content can only be streamed in the US and Japan. But if you are streaming from other parts of the globe you can go for VPNs that are compatible with Hulu. However, if you use a VPN while streaming from the US, you will most likely face such network errors.
How to Fix Hulu Error Code 21?
As the Hulu Error Code 21 is a network-related issue, the troubleshooting methods generally include resetting your connection. But there’s a lot more that you can do to fix it.
Restarting the Router/ Modem
Restarting the modem will be the first step.
- Turn off your router, and remove the LAN cable.
- Turn it back on and give it some time to reboot
- Plug in the LAN cable
- Wait for your streaming device to get connected to the Wifi
- Check if the issue persists
Reset TCP/ IP
Resetting your TCP/ IP to default is the next logical solution
- Type cmd and Run it as an Administrator
- When the command prompt appears, type “netsh int ip reset” and press Enter.
- Give it some time and then restart your system.
- Click on the Apple logo and open System Preferences
- Select Network. A screen will pop up showing all available internet connections
- Select the connection you are connected to and click on Advanced.
- Switch to the TCP/ IP tab and click Renew DHCP Lease.
- Click Ok
Flush DNS Servers
Flushing your DNS servers will reset your internet connection. This is how you can do it
- Click Start, search for command prompt and Run it as an Administrator
- Type the following commands followed by Enter
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /registerdns
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- netsh winsock reset
- Reboot your machine and launch Hulu.
- Open Terminal
- Type sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder and press Enter
- Enter Admin Username and Password
- Restart your machine and launch Hulu
Updating the Network Drivers
Drivers are software packages that communicate between hardware and software. If your network drivers are corrupt, data sent from Hulu servers won’t be consumed by its services and lead to the Hulu Error Code 21.
Here’s how you can update your network drivers.
- On the Windows Start menu, search for Device Manager.
- Open device manager
- Search for Network adapters. Right-click on it and select Update Driver Software.
- You can choose to either automatically search for updated drivers or select them manually from your local drives.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software and follow the instructions
- Once the drivers are updated, reboot your system and check if the issue persists.
- Click on the Apple logo and click System Preferences
- Click Network to open Network configurations
- Select the internet connection you are connected to and click on the “-” button below to remove the connection settings.
- Click Apply and restart your system for the changes to come into effect
- After your system reboots, again open System Preferences and open Network
- Click on the ‘+’ icon at the bottom of the available connection list.
- Select Ethernet as the interface and create a new service
- Click Apply to save the changes.
- Reboot your system and launch Hulu
Uninstall VPN or Use Compatible VPN Services
If you are streaming inside the US, you don’t need a VPN. So if you are connected to a VPN, streaming from the US, and getting the Hulu Error Code 21, disconnecting the VPN should resolve the issue.
But if you are connected to a VPN, streaming from outside the US, and still getting the same error, then you need to switch to other VPN service providers.
Go for VPNs that bypass the Hulu block. VPNs like PureVPN, NordVPN, ExpressVPN, and Surfshark have multiple US servers and can be used to stream Hulu without any issue.
Do A Malware Scan
If even after resetting your UP, flushing your DNS server, and disconnecting your VPN, the issue is not resolved, try a virus scan of your system. Scan for malicious applications that can eavesdrop on streaming services and quarantine or remove them from your system. Also, clean your Virus Vault to be totally sure.
These are by far the best solutions for Hulu Error Code 21. If you are facing any other Hulu streaming errors, check out our post to get them resolved.