- Status: Released
- Movie Tagline: Life, liberty, money and the pursuit of happiness. She’s gotta have it.
- Genres: Drama, Comedy
- Release Date: 1996-11-21
- Runtime: 104.0 min
- Budget: $3.0 million
- Revenue: $0.3 million
- Production Companies: Miramax, Independent Pictures (II)
Cast & Crew
Laura Dern, Swoosie Kurtz, Kurtwood Smith, Mary Kay Place, Kelly Preston, M.C. Gainey, Kenneth Mars, David Graf, Tippi Hedren, Burt Reynolds, Diane Ladd, Alicia Witt, Delaney Driscoll
Synopsis – What to Expect from “Citizen Ruth”
Citizen Ruth is a 1996 dark comedy film written and directed by Alexander Payne. The film follows Ruth Stoops (Laura Dern), an alcoholic and pregnant homeless woman who finds herself at the center of a heated debate between pro-choice and pro-life activists.
The film begins with Ruth being arrested for public intoxication. She soon discovers that she is pregnant with her fifth child, and the judge orders her to either have an abortion or be sent to prison. Ruth is given the option to choose her own fate and is released on probation.
Ruth is soon approached by a pro-life activist, Beatrice (Kathy Bates), who offers to take her in and provide her with a place to stay. Beatrice hopes to persuade Ruth to keep the baby and become a symbol for the pro-life movement. Meanwhile, a pro-choice activist, Norma (Swoosie Kurtz), also takes Ruth in and tries to persuade her to have an abortion.
Ruth is soon caught in the middle of the two sides, with each trying to sway her decision. She begins to take advantage of the situation by using each side to get what she wants. In the end, Ruth makes her own decision and takes control of her life.
Citizen Ruth is a darkly comic look at the abortion debate in America. It is a story about a woman who has been given an opportunity to take control of her own life and make
Where to Watch “Citizen Ruth”
If you are wondering where to watch “Citizen Ruth”?
Here are the platforms that are currently streaming “Citizen Ruth” :
Note: The Justwatch widget detects your country and shows which streaming services have the title available. If no services are listed, it’s either because:
- The movie is not streaming in your country – Justwatch checks which platforms have the rights to show the title in your region.
- The movie is not actually streaming on any streaming platform – Justwatch checks all major streaming platforms, but some titles may not be available on any service.
The easy way to find out if it is blocked in your region is to use a VPN.
How to Use a VPN to Access More Titles
Here’s how you can use a VPN to watch “Citizen Ruth” or any other title from anywhere in the world:
- Download and install a VPN app on your device. We recommend CyberGhostVPN or NordVPN.
- Connect to a server in another country where the title might be available. For example, try connecting to a US server.
- Check JustWatch again. It will now show services available in that country.
- Pick a streaming service and enjoy the title! The VPN encrypts your traffic so that it appears you’re in that country.
Using a VPN gives you access to more titles and lets you bypass geographic restrictions. Just connect to a different country and you can stream shows worldwide!
For a limited time, you can get CyberGhostVPN for 82% off and NordVPN for 63% off!
Both VPNs come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try them risk-free. With the discount, CyberGhostVPN is as little as $2.15/month and NordVPN is just $3.30/month.
Take advantage of these low prices to unlock more content and browse securely!
Recommended Movies similar to Citizen Ruth