A Screen recorder is a quintessential application used by online tutors, social media content creators, and by professionals working remotely. Screen recorders are also used by gamers for live streaming and other content sharing.
In this post, we will walk you through some of the best screen recording software.
We will present you with some free recording software and other paid variants that can be used by enterprises and for creating professional content.
Let’s get started.
How to Record Screen on Windows?
Screen recording on Windows is pretty straightforward.
First, you need to launch the application and decide whether you want to take a screenshot or record activities on the screen.
When you start recording your screen you can either select a specific application or select a custom area. It is advisable to select a custom area while making tutorials, social media content, or other marketing content.
On the other hand, while recording gameplays, you should select the video game (or specific application) whose screen you want to record.
This way even if you get any unwanted notification on your screen it will be left out from the recording resulting in a picture-perfect video game walkthrough.
Depending on the application you use for screen recording you will get various other options like selecting audio source, mouse highlights, keystrokes, and also the option to record webcam content.
Once screen recording is ready you will be redirected to the video editor where you can edit your recorded screen content.
Best Screen Recording Software: Features You’re Looking For
The perfect video capture software depends on your needs.
For example, if you want to record video game walkthroughs and publish them on YouTube or Twitch you need a video capture software that can record high frame rate content in high quality.
However, while creating online tutorials or social media content 720p or 1080p content would do just fine. Here are some of the criteria that can help you to make the right choice.
- Different recording options – You should thoroughly inspect the different recording options in your video recording software. You should check the supported resolution and frame rate, different recording inputs, and the permitted duration of the recordings.
- Supported devices – The more supported devices the better. This way you can record screen content from all the different devices that you have at your disposal.
- Video Editing capabilities – This is one of the pivotal criteria that dictate the selection of a screen recording software. Even if an application records high-quality screen content, without a proper video editor you have to rely on a third-party editor for editing your video clips. You should invest in screen recording software that lets you edit your recordings with ease and provides different exporting options.
- Ease of use – Screen recording is not rocket science. Still, many applications tend to make the screen recording process complicated. You should go for a screen recorder that has a simple UI and boosts a powerful yet clutter-free video editor.
- Other handy features – Screen recorders with cloud storage makes sharing your video clips easy. Configurable hotkeys for screen recording can come in handy while recording gameplays.
Now let’s look at some of the best free recording software.
5 Best Free Screen Recording Software
- Doesn’t add a watermark to screen recordings
- You can trim videos, adjust noise and remove noise for free
- Export recordings in WMV format or upload directly to YouTube
- Free screen recorder Windows 10
- 1080p available only on Pro subscription
- Free version allows you to export only in WMV format. Upgrade required to export as MP4.
- WebCam recording, and adding annotations & voiceovers to recordings available for paid subscriptions only.
- Available only for Windows platform
FreeCam is a free screen recorder that has all the basic features of screen capture software. You can select the portion of the screen that you want to record and the software would record all your screen content and mouse and key actions.
The editor lets you trim, adjust volume, and denoise your recording. Finally, you can export your recordings (without watermark or any time limitation) on your Windows machine or upload them directly on YouTube.
However, if you want to record content in 1080p, add voiceover and transition effects, then you have to subscribe to a paid Pro plan.
Supported OS – Windows 10/ 8/ 7 both 32 and 64-bit variants
Price – Pro subscription costs $227 per year
Best for – Creating social media content & for hobbyists
2. OBS Studio
- Record screens from multiple sources
- No watermark or recording limit
- In-built audio mixers and filters.
- Can also be used for live streaming
- Has a steep learning curve
- Too many features for a simple screen recorder
OBS Studio is a free open-source live streaming application that can also be used as a free video recording software. You can record screens and system audio from various sources with no time limit.
It has excellent sound mixing features and lets you customize your recordings by adding various annotations and captions. This application is widely used by gamers for streaming their gameplay on YouTube, Twitch, and other streaming platforms.
To top it off you can run it on all popular Operating Systems. From a feature standpoint, It’s really difficult to take a jab at this application. OBS Studio is definitely one of them, if not THE best free screen recorders.
Supported OS – Windows 10/ 8/ 8.1; MacOS 10.13+; Ubuntu 18.04 onwards
Price – Free
Best for – Live streaming and gameplay recording
- Desktop, webcam, and microphone recording from a Chrome browser in HD
- No installation is required on your local machine
- Recording autosaved on Google Drive
- Drawing tools available while recording
- Screen recording is limited to 5 minutes
- System audio recording not supported
- Basic editor, with no voiceover options
If you are looking for ease of use, then Screencastify is the right free recording software for you. To start using it you have to visit the Chrome Web Store and download the Screencastify extension.
Once installed you can start recording your screen right from the browser by tapping on the Screencastify extension. The application will record your screen elements, user actions, and audio input from your microphone. You can also use different drawing tools to draw the attention of your audience.
Once the recording is complete, you can trim your videos, add annotations, and then the recording will automatically get downloaded on your Google Drive in GIF, MP3, or MP4 formats.
This free screen recorder has been a hit amongst young students and non-technical users.
Supported OS – Windows, Mac, Linus through Chrome browser
Price – Free
Best for – Short screen recordings right from the browser
- Hotkeys for faster navigation and recording
- You can add your custom watermark
- Shareable URL for recorded content
- Doesn’t have a video editor
- Gameplay recorders are not in high quality
- Can’t record webcam footage
- Supported only on Windows OS
ShareX is a lightweight yet powerful Windows 10 screen recorder. You can use hotkeys and also customize them to record screens in a jiffy.
It also features OCR (Optical Character Recognition) that allows you to extract text from your screen recordings. All in all, it presents a plethora of features that might even seem overwhelming for the first time.
Even though it lacks game recording in HQ, it will do just fine as a run-of-the-mill screen capture software.
Supported OS – Windows 10/ 8.1/ 7
Price – Free
Best for – Swift screen recording and extracting data from the recorded screen (OCR, QR scanning e.t.c.)
- Hotkeys for swift recording
- Cloud storage and sharing
- Allows to zoom in and out of recordings
- The free version has a recording limit of 5 minutes
- Free version available with ads
The USP of TinyTake would be to record live screens and create short clips swiftly. It’s a great tool for creating presentations and demos.
It comes with a nice set of marking and annotation tools that will help you highlight elements in your recorded content. It also features cloud storage that allows you to share your recordings easily.
Even though it might not be the best free recording software (due to time restrictions and promotions linked with the free plan), if you want to record, edit and share short clips swiftly, TinyTake would do just fine.
Supported OS – Windows 7 & above, Mac OS X 10.13 & above
Price – Free, while paid plans range from roughly $30 – $100 per year.
Best for – Swift recording of short clips
5 Paid Screen Recording Software
1. Filmora Scrn
- Screen recording in 15 to 120 FPS
- Features HD and 4K screen recording
- Green screen effects
- Pan & zoom
- Performance issues during HD or 4K game recording
Filmora Scr is one of the best screen capture software for recording HD or 4K content at a high frame rate. You can also configure hotkeys to assign recording shortcuts which come in real handy while recording gameplays.
The drawing tools are one of the coolest features. It allows you to highlight, point, and caption items on the screen while you are recording. This feature is really helpful while recording tutorials and can save you a ton of editing time.
It supports editing content in over 50 different file formats and lets you export your recording in any suitable format of your choice.
To get started you can check out its free version, however, all recordings made using the free version would have a watermark in them.
Supported OS – Windows and Mac OS
Price – Their annual plan costs roughly $62 while a perpetual license can be bought for a one-time payment of $90.
Best for – HD and 4K screen recording and recording multiple screens.
- Frame-by-frame editing
- Can be used for screen recording as well as a standalone video editor
- Dedicated library for sound effects and royalty-free music clips
- Green screen option
- Relatively expensive
- Requires practice to catch up to all its features
If you are wondering what value a professional screen capture software adds then you should definitely check out Camtasia. With this recording software for Windows, you can swiftly record, edit and export professional standard videos in a jiffy.
Unlike other video capture software, Camtasia provides you with video templates that help you export your recordings quickly and reduce editing time. The application also features pre-built music and video libraries that can add a professional look and feel to your recordings.
You can add a different call for action elements in the form of quizzes and questionnaires to increase interactivity with your audience. You can also add device frames to emulate your recording running on different devices.
Video table of content closed captioning, and audio FX are some other cool features of this versatile screen recorder. Camtasia is indeed a strong contender for the best screen recorder.
Supported OS – Windows, macOS & iOS devices
Price – A lifetime license would cost you around $250
Best for – Professional screen recordings
3. Movavi Screen Recorder
- Easy to use
- Scheduled recording
- Video editor isn’t as powerful as other counterparts
- Cannot edit audio
- Doesn’t support voiceover
The Movavi Screen recorder is the perfect tool for recording tutorials and other online events. Its simple clutter-free no-nonsense UI along with straightforward recording controls promotes easy adoption.
While recording your screen you can utilize the drawing tools to add annotations and point to elements on your screen. The video editor is also quite simple and you can process and export your recordings by simple drag-and-drop actions in no time.
The recording scheduler is the feather in its cap and can be leveraged while recording gameplays and webinars. If you are intrigued by its features feel free to check out our detailed Movavi Screen recorder review.
Supported OS – Windows 10/ 8/7 and MacOS X or higher
Price – Around $35 for an annual subscription or $50 for a lifetime license.
Best for – Recording webinars, online events, and video calls
- Advanced recording and editing options
- Relatively cheaper
- Dedicated app for iOS/ Android devices
- 4K recording not supported
Screen-O-Matic is definitely one of the best screen recording software. Given its conservative pricing, it is the best value-for-money screen capture software.
While using this application you would be able to leverage all the features of screen recording software, use stock images and audio clips for creating professional marketing videos, and much more.
If you are not looking to record high FPS 4K content, then this is the right application for you.
Supported OS – Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Chromebook
Price – The Premier pack (all features) would cost you $4.00 per month billed annually.
Best for – Creating tutorials, social media campaigns, and marketing.
- Recording content in Retina resolution
- Record iPad and iPhone screens
- Easy publishing options
- Chroma key
- For Mac and iOS users only
If you are a Mac user and want to record screens of your iPad or iPhone then ScreenFlow is the best screen recorder for you. The latest version of ScreenFlow has made some impressive updates.
You can record Retina display content, add animation and motion graphics, create closed captioning, and publish content directly to popular video hosting sites like Vimeo, YouTube, in a format of your choice.
You can efficiently archive videos, add filters, and remove background with ease. New updates add noticeable performance improvement that will allow you to export videos quickly without draining your battery life. Read the full Screenflow review here.
Supported OS – macOS
Price – Starting from $149
Best for – Retina display recording on Apple devices.
- You can use screen capture software to grab screenshots as well as to record screen activities.
- There are many paid and free screen recording applications in the market that let you record your activities on the screen as well as from other connected mobile devices and streaming sources.
- Almost every screen recorder features a video editor that can be used to add annotations and cool effects and finally export them in a format of your choice.
- If you do not work offline then you can also go for lightweight web-based screen recorders.
What screen recorder do YouTubers use?
Different YouTubers have their own favorite screen recorder. However, Camtasia, OBS Studio, and Screen-O-Matic are some of the best screen recording software and can be used to upload quality recordings on YouTube.
Can Netflix detect screen recording?
Yes, Netflix can detect screen recording and immediately turns your screen black. Netflix uses Encrypted Media Extension services that can detect when a screen recording commences and accordingly transforms the Netflix DOM (HTML5 rendering).
For the technical nitty-gritty refer to this link.
What is the best free screen recording software for PC?
We will suggest you go for OBS Studio simply because it is open-source and has a ton of features. It can also be used as a live-streaming application.
You can check out this post for more insight.
Does Windows 10 have a screen recorder?
Yes, Windows 10 has a default screen recorder. After launching the application that you want to record, press the Windows key + G to open the Game Bar dialog and start recording.
Alternatively, you can also press Win + Alt + R to begin capturing video.