- Status: Released
- Movie Tagline: The prize-winning drama that warms the screen with its people and its passions…
- Genres: Drama, Romance
- Release Date: 1961-05-28
- Runtime: 128.0 min
- Budget: $1.5 million
- Revenue: Not Available
- Production Companies: Columbia Pictures
Cast & Crew
Sidney Poitier, Claudia McNeil, Ruby Dee, Diana Sands, Ivan Dixon, John Fiedler, Louis Gossett Jr.-Stephen Perry, Joel Fluellen, Louis Terrel, Roy Glenn, George DeNormand, Bob Sweeney
Synopsis – What to Expect from “A Raisin in the Sun”
A Raisin in the Sun is a classic film released in 1961, directed by Daniel Petrie and based on the play by Lorraine Hansberry. It tells the story of the Younger family, a struggling African-American family living in a small apartment in Southside Chicago. The family consists of Lena Younger (Claudia McNeil), her son Walter Lee (Sidney Poitier), her daughter Beneatha (Diana Sands), and her grandson Travis (Stephen Perry).
The film begins with Lena receiving a life insurance check from her late husband’s policy. Lena decides to use the money to buy a house for her family, but Walter Lee has other plans. He wants to invest the money in a liquor store, hoping to become wealthy and provide a better life for his family. Lena disagrees and puts her foot down, but Walter Lee is determined to get his way.
Meanwhile, Beneatha dreams of becoming a doctor and is determined to pursue her education, much to the dismay of her traditional mother. This causes tension in the family and leads to a heated argument between Lena and Walter Lee.
The family eventually moves into their new home, but they soon face new challenges. They are harassed by their white neighbors who don’t want them in the neighborhood. Walter Lee also struggles to find a job and is rejected by employers because of his race.
The family must come together to overcome these obstacles and fight for their dreams. In the end,
Where to Watch “A Raisin in the Sun”
If you are wondering where to watch “A Raisin in the Sun”?
Here are the platforms that are currently streaming “A Raisin in the Sun” :
Note: The Justwatch widget detects your country and shows which streaming services have the title available. If no services are listed, it’s either because:
- The movie is not streaming in your country – Justwatch checks which platforms have the rights to show the title in your region.
- The movie is not actually streaming on any streaming platform – Justwatch checks all major streaming platforms, but some titles may not be available on any service.
The easy way to find out if it is blocked in your region is to use a VPN.
How to Use a VPN to Access More Titles
Here’s how you can use a VPN to watch “A Raisin in the Sun” or any other title from anywhere in the world:
- Download and install a VPN app on your device. We recommend CyberGhostVPN or NordVPN.
- Connect to a server in another country where the title might be available. For example, try connecting to a US server.
- Check JustWatch again. It will now show services available in that country.
- Pick a streaming service and enjoy the title! The VPN encrypts your traffic so that it appears you’re in that country.
Using a VPN gives you access to more titles and lets you bypass geographic restrictions. Just connect to a different country and you can stream shows worldwide!
For a limited time, you can get CyberGhostVPN for 82% off and NordVPN for 63% off!
Both VPNs come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try them risk-free. With the discount, CyberGhostVPN is as little as $2.15/month and NordVPN is just $3.30/month.
Take advantage of these low prices to unlock more content and browse securely!
Recommended Movies similar to A Raisin in the Sun